Tuesday 24 January 2017

Weathers

I suppose whichever country we live in - parti cularly if we were born and brought up there - we quite quickly become accustomed to the climate and weather conditions.   It doesn't stop us complaining about them though does it?

Not sure whether this is a particular English characteristic or whether it applies to every Nationality.

A few years ago we went on the Hurtigruten, up the coast of Norway and round to the Russian border at Kirkenes.   We went to see the midnight sun and on Midsummer's night we went to a concert in Tromso cathedral on midnight.  Folk were drinking  coffee in outdoor cafes around the cathedral, children were playing on their bikes in the square - it was twilight and as dark as it got at that time of the year.

The converse is also true of course.   From mid December until mid February it will barely get light.   

The thought of living in perpetual semi-darkness for weeks makes me feel like curling up into a ball and hibernating.   But if one is born to it then I suppose it is a way of life.

Similarly with the degree of cold.  It is not a pleasant day here.   The sun came up and promised well, but it has been all uphill after that.  As I drove into town it was minus two and the fields were frosted although the sun was glinting on the grass and it was quite beautiful in a wintry kind of way.   By the time I returned after my trip to the Bank and a coffee with friend C (our favourite cafe is open again after a fortnight's redecorating) the sun had gone in, the cloud had descended, it was deeply depressing weather and yet the temperature had risen to plus six degrees.   It felt much colder.

Our friends F and R in The Netherlands often speak about how every year the dykes used to freeze and there was skating along them and yearly races.   Then the weather began to be warmer and now rarely are the dykes frozen enough to allow skating.

However, today in the Times there is a photograph of skaters on the dykes.  I am about to send a e mail to them asking if this ice is widespread and if this is one of those now rare happenings 'a skating year'.

Light the woodburner, close the curtains, get out a good book and Bob's your uncle.   Never thought I would reach this stage in life.

18 comments:

Mac n' Janet said...

I grew up in California and was use to a very temperate climate and as such I've never been able to adapt to cold climates. It will be cold for short periods here in Georgia, but it never stays that way. I don't want it very hot, but weather in the 70's and 80's year round would make me happy. And take out the tornadoes and hurricanes.

Librarian said...

Cold and grey here, too, after it has been cold and sunny all of last week and the weekend. People were skating and playing ice hockey on the lake here, it was like one big family outing, with mulled wine and hot sausages being sold on the shore.

While I am inside the office building, I don't really mind the weather much. But for waiting on wind-swept platforms, even 5 minutes out in the cold can be taxing. It really tires me out much more on a cold day than when it is warmer, and I was born here and have lived here all my life.

I would not want to live in a place where there is semi-darkness for months on end; neither would I want to live where there are no four seasons but just rain or no rain.

My experience is that everybody loves to talk about the weather, no matter what country they are from (or in) :-)

Frances said...

A powerful weather system moved through NYC yesterday afternoon and overnight. Lots and lots of rain, partnered by winds with velocities reaching 50 miles/hour. I was very glad to get my outdoor errands accomplished earlier in the day, when it might actually have been possible to soak up some vitamin D. xo

Derek Faulkner said...

Blimey, the long winter night here are bad enough but semi-darkness for months - I'd cut my wrists.
The Severe Weather Warning here for last night was for a second night of thick and freezing fog. We got up to clear skies, no frost and by 9.00 it was almost Spring like and has stayed that way all day.

jinxxxygirl said...

WARM here Pat... 65 F today! But if the weatherman is correct its our last really warm day for a while.. temps drop back in the 40's F for the high... which is more like it for this time of year.. They say the sun will be shining though so that will be nice... The wind is suppose to blow today though but it hasn't happened yet so the pine trees will be roaring... I like dark dreary days though i'm not sure i could handle darkness for that long...Hugs! deb

Anonymous said...

Pretty cold here this week with freezing fog. I like the ice but could do without the fog! Hope you stay well wrapped up and warm.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I think you are right...people do adapt to the weather characteristics of the region in which they are raised. In Britain I think we talk about the weather a lot because our weather is so variable and unpredictable. Many other countries have more predictable weather patterns.

The Broad said...

Coincidentally, we were having a discussion at dinner two nights ago about how the Dutch were painted skating on the canals and also about Hans Blinker. So it was a great surprise to find the photo the following day of skating once again in Holland.

Rachel Phillips said...

My father had his own skates and skated in the Fens in the 1920s. We found them when we eventally went through his things 40 years after he died just a few years ago. They looked quite like old fashioned football boots with a blade along the bottom.

justjill said...

In the NE of Scotland we have just had a week of glorious sun, yes its cold, frequently windy ! We get the Northern lights, and our daylight hours are very short in the winter and vice versa in the Summer when it never gets very dark. I wouldnt live anywhere else. Tho I still love Yorkshire where I were born and bred.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Just catching up on your posts, Weaver. Doctors Without Borders is Hubby's favourite charity with a monthly donation and we think a very worthwhile cause. They have a course here at the college to teach stone walls...old fashioned making fences out of stone placement. It is so nice, like your hedgelaying, to see the old skills kept alive. Congrats on the new sweet addition to the family. We have a winter storm warning in effect today in Ottawa; snowing steadily all day but no wind. Tired of winter now.

Joanne Noragon said...

We've had a month of spring and rain. Waiting for the shoe to drop.

angryparsnip said...

So far our winter is the way it should be. Middle in January rain for a few days sun for a few days. Right now it is blue skies, big clouds but tonight rain and temps down to 31.
We need th erain so I am happy.

cheers, parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

Love the story about the discovery of Rachel's father's skates. I vaguely remember them skating on the River Witham when I was a child and can certainly remember walking across it - very exciting as we had never been across to the other side.
Interesting also that Jill in the North East of Scotland experiences similar weather to parts of Norway (although of course not above the Arctic Circle) - lucky to see the Northern Lights though.
Thanks everyone for your interesting and varied comments.

Heather said...

I can remember a few very severe winters with heavy snowfalls but they are well spread out in my life. I have a lovely winter coat hanging in the wardrobe which hasn't been needed for years as our winters, although some days have been cold, have not be cold enough for a heavy coat. We have had several beautiful winter days this year - hard frost and clear skies, so plenty of sunny days. I dislike those days when it seems the weather isn't doing anything - not exactly cold, or wet but just generally dismal. But I can't complain as we usually escape the worst of any extremes and when I moan about being cold I am usually looking forward to moaning about the heat!

Maureen Reynolds said...

Funny but I don't recall it being that cold when I lived 'down south' in Knaresborough. Cold and windy rain though I do remember as it was back in miniskirt days and my legs got the brunt of the sleety rain.

However when I lived in Thailand, no one really talked about the weather until it was monsoon season. Otherwise it was just hot and humid. Period.

Cro Magnon said...

I can't tell you how many times I tried to walk over frozen ponds when I was small. Invariably the ice broke at the edge and I was spared from drowning. Ice is always very tempting.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone for your commentd