Monday 8 June 2015

Stage Two in the race

For weeks the fields all around us have been a bright, healthy green and the grass has been growing well.   As we have gone about doing this and that, the farmer has remarked 'good crop of grass there' or 'that grass needs to grow a bit more'.   In other words, every farmer in the area who has cattle has had his mind centred on grass.

But now, driving into town this afternoon, there are few bright green fields to be seen (apart from the few sporting growing winter wheat) - everywhere the fields are a pale, wan cream.   Yes, first cut silage is behind us to a large extent - most of it gone to forage silage - that is cut, carted away on big trailers and stored in huge
walled off areas, covered and left to cure for winter eatage.   Big bag silage will come later with the second crop of grass.

Which leads me to stage two.   No sooner is the grass cut than the slurry wagons are out, spreading thick slurry on all the shaved fields.  What is pale and wan today will be a good, rich brown tomorrow (with a smell to match).  For make no mistake, grass is given no quarter.   It must produce two crops and hopefully for many three crops of Winter feed so there must be no hold ups.

Cows don't realise how lucky they are.

I see from today's Times that the 'artificial intelligence expert', Ray Kurzwell, predicts that within the next fifteen years or so humans will be able to utilise 'tiny nanobots' made from strands of DNA, which will utterly transform their biological essence.  They will be able to connect their brains directly to the internet.

I ask myself, do I wish to do that, and the answer comes back loud and clear - NO.

This week I ordered my prescription from our Medical Practice by computer, as I always do.   Then I tried to order the farmers - but the site refused to delete my name.   I blamed the Practice, tried for several days and finally rang the order in.   Yesterday my son suggested that I change server to try again - and of course it worked.   I haven't even mastered the very basics of computer skills yet - so you can forget utilising nanobots, whatever they are, be they large or tiny.

9 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

i often find that we are so busy asking ourselves if we CAN do something we don't stop long enough to ask if we SHOULD do something....Hugs! deb

Rachel Phillips said...

Well you can turn the computer on and find blogger and write a post and find other blogs and leave comments and then do a Tesco order so I declare you have mastered the basics.

angryparsnip said...

Love the grass story.
The Square Ones have a small patch of grass for them. They love it.
I think your computer skills are great, Your blog is always terrific and
I love reading it.

cheers, parsnip


Terry and Linda said...

I think your skills are great...I love reading your posts and looking at your header photos!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Cro Magnon said...

The fields, and lawns, here are beige through heat and drought. Did you know that the word 'aftermath' refers to the second cutting of hay?

thelma said...

Scary things nanobots by the sound of them, little creatures running around inside us altering our system doesn't want thinking about. They are advertising a scary human robot's drama on tvsometime in the future, now that will give me nightmares!

Heather said...

If we all used the computer to the extent that every company or organisation seems to want us to, we will lose the ablility to write and our stress levels will rise to impossible heights! Nanobots is probably a nasty virus for which there is no current cure.

Frances said...

True what you say about cows not knowing their luck. I cannot imagine their being concerned with nanobots.

Thank you for continuing to teach me so much about the country. I love visiting here.

Best wishes to you and the Farmer.

donna baker said...

Well, those nanobots better work on their own, without any help from me.