Saturday 18 April 2015

The arrival of Spring?

Well, maybe that is a little too optimistic but at least some things are advertising the season.   I took Tess for a walk down the Lane after lunch, taking my camera too in the hopes of photographing evidence of its arrival.

But have you ever tried negotiating walking with a stick, a camera and an investigating dog on a lead?   Not a good combination.  The first delightful thing I saw was a lovely tortoiseshell butterfly.   I took my camera out of its case, encouraged Tess to sit on the grass, focussed and - guess what - the butterfly flew!  The only other things I saw on my walk - in profusion - were young healthy nettles.   Last year I persuaded the farmer to collect me a bag full and I made nettle soup.  If you have never made it - please don't bother to try - it is absolutely awful both in colour and taste.

Back in the garden, along the hedgeside by the Scots pines the first cowslip was in flower - I love cowslips - and several patches of primroses - such a simple, almost perfect sign of Spring.   Bluebells and violets are on their way, but today there is a bitterly cold East wind blowing so that although it is sunny it is not really Springlike.

This morning friend W and I sat in the bay window of our favourite cafe and had a couple of cappucinos each and watched the world go by - various friends and acquaintances, several interesting dogs - always something to look at.

For lunch I did lamb koftas on a bed of rice with a potato salad made with new potatoes and sliced, seeded cucumber tossed in a
mixture of Greek yoghourt, creme fraiche, lemon juice, garlic and chopped mint- all served lukewarm.  When I asked the farmer if he had enjoyed it he said it was 'alright'.  When I ventured to suggest that perhaps he would have preferred the koftas with ordinary plain boiled new potatoes and a vegetable - he agreed that he would!   What shall I do with him ladies?    Shall I give in to his preferences and not serve the salad again (I absolutely loved it) or shall I serve it now and again?    (Men please feel free to answer too!) 

18 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Thanks for the heads up on the nettle soup. As to your man, I always said since I was the one researching, planning, shopping, preparing and serving the dinner, it's what we were having whether you like it or not. I don't know. You seem much nicer than me.

Joanne Noragon said...

A meat and potatoes man, eh? My mother used to say "don't taste it, just eat it." Personally, I would continue straight down your path. Of all the new things, he's bound to enjoy some.

Rachel Phillips said...

Compromise. Serve what he likes sometimes, and what you like sometimes. I am sure he would agree.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Hurray for spring! Don is a meat and potatoes guy - I figure no sense in cooking what he doesn't care for, as I certainly don't like it when served something I don't care for and feel I have to eat it. If I want something different I cook it for myself and we are both happy.

MorningAJ said...

I'm very lucky - K will eat more or less anything I put in front of him and has only ever said he disliked something a couple of times. We disagree over broad beans. I love them, he doesn't. He DID say he didn't mind them with the inner skins removed but I told him he'd either have to have them my way or skin them himself.

The Yorkshire 'alright' is a weasely word isn't it? It really doesn't give you any useful information. Not like 'it'll do', which is almost high praise. 'Alright' can mean anything from 'it's OK, but not my favourite' to 'it's poisonous'. Yorkshiremen are definitely a breed apart!

Hildred said...

Oh, come and cook for me, Pat - I would adore anything you made and spring is here in earnest......

Philip said...

I personally prefer the way you served the dish. Whether it's worth going to war over is a different matter. I've cooked nettle soup a few times and it was delicious. (a HFW recipe). The colour, I admit, was reminiscent of a time when we had babies, but that aside I'd recommend it.

angryparsnip said...

First off lovely photos.
Now for the question... Does he like mint ? I do not like the herb in any dish. I do like mint candies but that is something way different.
Maybe the salad cold ?
I know you make the thing he likes so a few time he can try something new. It is all about give and take.
I don't care for potato salad that has too much Mayo or cream on it. I now make a Japanese Potato salad that is so good and not so bad on the waist line.

fud is gud as thehamish would say.
cheers, parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for the advice!!

A Heron's View said...

Wives can be difficult and sometimes impossible to train to their husbands desires and I know having had a few.

jinxxxygirl said...

i would go along with Rachel and compromise....😁

Mac n' Janet said...

Give him what he wants most of the time, I do, and then have a me day and fix what you want. Mine usually finds he actually likes my "different" things if I don't serve them too often.

Margaret Butterworth said...

Some men don't care very much what they eat! They just want food put in front of them, so that they have the energy to get up and do the really important things in their life. My partner's greatest accolade is "very tasty", which he says quite often, but without any other critical comment. Today I am off to Spain for 5 weeks to walk the Camino, so he will be patronising Dominos Pizza and Kentucky Fried Chicken on a regular basis. Very tasty?

Virginia said...

It's an age-old problem, Weaver! Sometimes I just serve something my other half doesn't like, but when it comes to salad, there are some men (and it does always seem to be blokes) that just can't cope with 'rabbit food'... I keep some individual portions of frozen mashed foods - potatoes, "Pink vegetable" aka carrot and parsnip, kumera (you may call it sweet potato). easy, and then we both get what we like best.... and I'm not stuck with 'stodge' too often.

I do love reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your rich country life with us.

ChrisJ said...

Perfect Primroses -- the old kind. No vivid loud colors. The kind we used to collect on the cliffs.

Cro Magnon said...

Loads of Cowslips here, but no Primroses... I wonder why.

Have you tried serving your Koftas with Taboulé (couscous, chopped toms, chopped onion, chopped mint, lemon juice)? Very refreshing, and filling.

Bovey Belle said...

He's a Yorkshireman Pat, and there's you trying to give him poncy nosh! My man is from Manchester and just likes his food plain and unadulterated! Sigh. I would turn and turn about - your preference one time, and his the next. I have to say, anything luke warm wouldn't do for me, but that's just me! You sound an adventurous cook anyway.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Seems we all know our men (or think we do!) I shall take the advice and do as you say although Cro the very word cous-cous sends the farmer into a state of apoplexy. Thanks for calling.