Monday 13 October 2014

Grandchildren.

My eldest grand-daughter, the one who married earlier in the year, has been down on a visit and, as usual, it has been a joy to see her.
She is now happily settled into teaching and loving it - it is so nice to hear her speaking about it with such fervour.   It reminds me of how I was when I first started - one feels one can really change the world.   I have a theory that once teachers lose that feeling and sink into that 'you can't make silk purses out of sow's ears' mode they should be retired from the profession as they are no longer a credit to it.

And speaking of teaching I have just read Sheila Hancock's first novel "Miss Carter's War".   I enjoyed it tremendously although it did get a bit tedious towards the end.   Novels which go 'in progression' through time are difficult I think.   There are some passages in italics which hark back to her wartime experiences, but the book is principally about teaching children and those parts I enjoyed very much.   I felt that Sheila Hancock really understood the problems.

5 comments:

angryparsnip said...

It is so nice to be able to sit talk and enjoy your grandchildren when they grow up.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

It is so good that your grand-daughter has such dedication and passion for her work - her pupils are very fortunate and will probably remember her throughout their lives.
I haven't come across Sheila Hancock's book and will look out for it.

Cloudia said...

enjoyed seeing your perspective in action



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

mrsnesbitt said...

So agree with your thoughts on when some teachers should quit...then there are the miserable ones waiting for their exit! Their lack of enthusiasm and spark sucks out any hint of encouragement for the pupils....I have come across many - it was a joy to leave the staffroom I can tell you.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hey Pat!
I did not know that you were a teacher. What grades did you teach? My son-in-law is a third grade and special education teacher. I could not do his job for a million dollars. I taught at University for five years -and that was hard enough! Good teachers are truly Heaven Made and Heaven Sent!