Friday 5 September 2014

Howgill Fells




Today friend W and I have been on one of our visits over to Kirby Lonsdale to meet friends from Windermere for lunch in Avanti, the Italian restaurant in the town.  The weather was a perfect late Summer day, there was a faint mist everywhere and traffic, on the whole was light (excepting one irritating BMW driver with a very powerful car, who insisted travelling at about 20mph until W tried to overtake him, when he immediately went up to 40!)

We went over the tops, past Ingleborough, one of the three peaks, past the Ribblehead viaduct and through the little town of Ingleton.  As always we came back via Sedbergh and the glorious Howgill Fells.  They always look as though they are covered in moss.

 These fells lie between the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District and yet have a completely different geological make up.   On the whole the Yorkshire Dales are Carboniferous Limestone, whereas the Howgill Fells are Silurian Slate and Gritstone.   I remember reading somewhere once that the dividing line where the two meet is quite obvious and lies not far outside the little town of Sedbergh.

Both the Rivers Lune and Rawthey run close by making the whole area a perfect example of England's 'green and pleasant land' and I never ever tire of seeing them.   I hope you enjoy the three photographs I took as we were going along.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like these photos. Had to poke around a little bit before I found an online dictionary that defined the English geography term, fell. A hilly area, especially in Northwest England. In the Cambridge Dictionary. As the saying goes...well, duh!

Amy said...

looks like my sort of day out, that's what we like doing here, going out for random road trips.

Joanne Noragon said...

The hills are lovely, and so is your little winding road. Thanks for having us alson.

A Heron's View said...

That was truly a scenic drive Pat & good photo's too from a moving car; I trust that your meal was just as enjoyable :)

jinxxxygirl said...

OH i do LOVE the pictures! Thank you very much for sharing... The name threw me a little bit ...i thought you were gonna say Hogwarts! :) Hugs! deb

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Lovely scenery - I too had to look up fells. A nice ride in the country.

Cloudia said...

Geology has never read so romantic! Wonderful names for varieties of stone




ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

angryparsnip said...

I just love where you live. Your hill are so beautiful.
Goodness moss covered hills sound lovely. I was just looking at the foothills where I live and the are full of sage brush and Saguaros.

cheers, parsnip

Willow said...

This is absolutely gorgeous.

mrsnesbitt said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the route to the ferry! Wayhey Pat!

Tom Stephenson said...

Beautiful - and I got no disembodied voices this time.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad everyone enjoyed the Howgills - they are even more beautiful than they seem in the photographs. Thanks for calling in.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Glad everyone enjoyed the Howgills - they are even more beautiful than they seem in the photographs. Thanks for calling in.

Terry and Linda said...

It's always fun to 'see' England. I pretend I'm right there traveling along! The Mother Land, you know.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com