Friday 25 July 2014

Out for the day.

Friend W and I are off on one of our jaunts today, across the Pennines to Kirby Lonsdale to meet a friend for lunch in the Italian there.   It is usually two friends, but one of them, D, is almost finished the Land's End to John O'Groats walkMy son and his wife have set off up to
the very North of Scotland to ferry them during their last few days - they have a cottage in the forest up there (hope there are no midgies).   The walk ends on August 1st - they have now averaged twenty miles a day - amazing.

Our drive - which we always enjoy - will be through some of the wildest and most beautiful parts of the Yorkshire Dales, and through between the Three Peaks (famous for the Three Peaks Walk).  Photographs may well be posted tonight (if I can remember how to post them using my new computer's set up).

Watching some of the Commonwealth Games last night (the swimming) I found myself cheering for the Scots girl when she overtook the English girl in the last length.  Not very partisan I'm afraid - but what a swim.

The farmer is staying at home this morning rather than his usual trip to the Auction Mart,because yesterday, in the middle of grass-cutting, his grass cutter broke down and - as it is over twenty years old and has broken down several times before - the upshot is that a new one is being delivered this morning.   In the middle of grass cutting we can't manage without this vital piece of equipment.

I must go and get ready.   This weekend in our little market town, it is the 1940's week-end (don't ask me why folk wish to get dressed up in officer's uniforms (never Privates) and parade about the town celebrating a war during which they weren't even born, but there it is.   Tomorrow the town will be a no-go area so we need to dash in for the week-end's milk before I go.  Have a nice day and keep cool.  (or dry if you live on the other side of the world.)
  

7 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

They probably dress as officers, because it's the only way they'd ever get to wear the uniform.

Heather said...

Enjoy your day out and I hope the farmer gets to finish his hay-making. Machines seem to break down just when you really need them. Everyone wants to be an officer as they had the nicer uniforms! Hope the weather holds for all the jollifications.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Enjoy your trip to Kirby Lonsdale, we had a few holidays there when I was a child!

angryparsnip said...

I just enjoy reading your posts !
Have a lovely day.

cheers, parsnip

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Well, since you are about 5 hours ahead and it's 1:37 PM here in Maryland, I can say I hope you day with friends was all you hoped it would be. And hope the Farmer got his machine fixed!
Beautiful, beautiful day here. But tomorrow back to hot and humid. Oh well, I shall enjoy, uh, lawn while the sun shines, since I don't make hay.

Rachel Phillips said...

I wonder if anybody ever sets off from some wonderful area of Italy for lunch with a friend in the "English" somewhere across the plains or the valley. I doubt it.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting idea Rachel!
Thanks for calling, everyone.