Wednesday 12 February 2014

Aching muscles.

This morning I am aching because yesterday (after an absence of two weeks staying with my daughter in law) I returned with friend W to our 'Exercise for the over 60's' class.   This morning my body is reminding me where I went!

But it is important to go wouldn't you agree?   It is so easy as one gets older to sit around.   I think walking is the best exercise but sadly with my ankle pain walking is always difficult, so I must find exercise where I can.   I wish you could see us all (there are usually about ten of us there), particularly when we do floor exercises; the getting down, turning over and getting up I would imagine resemble a beached whale.  By far the most nimble of us is a lady in her nineties!

For the last two mornings we have woken up to a covering of snow - just a faint icing on the land and really rather pretty.   Yesterday it had gone by about ten o'clock as the sun came out.   This morning at present the sky is grey and the temperature is hovering around freezing, so maybe it will take a little longer.   The robin doesn;t seem to mind though and is chirping away as I write this.

The farmer spent most of yesterday by the fire.   On Monday he had a small operation just beneath his left eye, to take a sample for analysis.   He had a local anaesthetic and we are wondering if it penetrated his sinuses because within an hour of coming home he had a streaming 'cold' and during the night quite severe pain down his left leg.  Both are almost gone this morning but as a precaution he intends to do the minimum again today and come in to keep warm.

Weather permitting I am going out to lunch with friend S - but as she lives in a village deeper into the Dales than here I just hope that 'her' snow and ice has not made it hard for her to get out on to a main road.

Poor old Thames valley is suffering as well now with flood water - and the various agencies (at last they appear to be pulling in the same direction) have said it will be months before things are back to normal.  More rain and strong winds are forecast for the weekend - will it never end?

8 comments:

John Going Gently said...

70 to 100 gusts expected here pat
Gets getting beyond a joke now

Heather said...

This post reminds me of the last time I had to get up from the floor. I said to myself 'She rose gracefully to her feet'!!! I shall need to take exercise if my leg doesn't buck it's ideas up - I can't walk comfortably or correctly without a stick and resemble someone who has been kept waiting far too long for a hip replacement.
Do hope the farmer soon feels more comfortable - he is very wise to keep warm as he recovers from his hospital visit. Enjoy your lunch trip.

Gwil W said...

Ach, I'm tired but I must make a move. And I'm only young-old. It doesn't get any easier, especially in winter. I think I may have some hibernating genes switched on.

thelma said...

This weather keeps us all in, and it is just about to get worse again. Hope the farmer feels better soon, bit worried about that leg pain, except of course it could be cramp...

Bovey Belle said...

Hope you are both feeling a bit more mobile and comfortable again soon. It's so hard when winter keeps us confined to barracks, or else blasts us with weather we would rather avoid!

Like John Gray we too have a forecast of gusts between 70 and 100, and they have already arrived. I am praying our phone line doesn't get taken out AGAIN. . .

A morning baking in the warmth of the kitchen seemed the best of ideas today : )

Keep safe.

Hildred said...

Yesterday I was waiting for an X-ray on my wrist, and as my name was called I rose and realized I really couldn't get going until I had remained standing for a moment to gather my equilibrium! Best wishes to the Farmer, and hope all goes well for him - the sun is shining here today Pat, - wish I could send you a bit of blue sky.

Acornmoon said...

Good for you, we should all follow your example.

angryparsnip said...

What a strange winter. So cold, rainy and full of snow for most and we here in the desert have none.
Best wishes to the farmer.

cheers, parsnip