Sunday 6 October 2013

Unexpected visitors at lunch time!

What does one do when unexpected visitors turn up on the doorstep just at lunch time?   Offer them a bite of lunch of course.
What if there is not enough to go round?   Think of something quick and easy that will cook while you are laying the table of course.
Here is an idea which I tried, which worked and which will henceforth be a standby in my kitchen cupboard for just such an occasion.
I diluted a jar of ready-made tomato and roasted pepper pasta sauce with a vegetable stock cube and water, added a tin of rinsed cannelini beans and a handful of macaroni and simmered it until said macaroni was cooked.   Then I stirred in a good handful of parmesan (and put more on the table, ready grated) and served it with a good sour dough loaf of bread.   Delicious.   Problem solved.   Sigh of relief.

15 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

I tell them to go away and make an appointment.

Cuckoo said...

... or, suggest they try a lovely local farm shop for lunch and sample the crab cakes... which were indeed delicious and was what they had intended to do all along. Thanks Pat!

Heather said...

It's amazing what you can come up with if you don't panic! I like the sound of your brilliant solution and bet it was very tasty.

MorningAJ said...

Yorkshire folk will always find something to feed to unexpected visitors. That's just how it is. Well done for coming up with a good meal. You can do something similar with condensed mushroom soup and cooked pasta, topped with breadcrumbs and grated cheese and popped under a grill. Serve it with a side salad.

angryparsnip said...

That sounds lovely and if your weather was somewhat cold, even better.

cheers, parsnip

mrsnesbitt said...

Sounds good Pat!

Rachel Phillips said...

On the arrival of the unexpected visitor I in Norfolk would get the tractor out and disappear.....

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

If all the people who read this post think the way I do then your house could be very crowded next Sunday!

Terry and Linda said...

Unexpected company can be a real challenge. But you came up with a really yummy solution.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Virginia said...

I wish I'd dropped by - that sounded wonderful! I'll bet there was none left over. Yum.

Hildred said...

Oh, you are so clever, Pat, and I will certainly make note to have a loaf of sour dough bread lurking at all times!!! It is amazing what can be concocted at the last minute, - I have had more than one friend reminisce about pancakes they were served at our house on the spur of the moment. Or omelets are always a treat for the unexpected.

ArtPropelled said...

I would be in such a tizz. Well done for making something delicious on such short notice.

Cloudia said...

Wish I could pop in!



ALOHA from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
=^..^= <3

The Weaver of Grass said...

Funny how some of us like an unexpected visitor and some of us don't. I love someone to call on me when I am not expecting it and it is a surprise. We finished the soup yesterday which was handy as we were out all day. Thanks for calling in.

thousandflower said...

That sounds good. Something to make even when not in an emergency.