Monday 28 October 2013

The morning after the night before.

Well the great storm has swept through leaving behind it untold damage in the form of trees down, power lines down, roads flooded and sadly two deaths.  However much we batten down the hatches such storms will always find a loophole.

Up here in the Yorkshire Dales we felt none of it.   According to the weather map the centre of the storm would be in the South of the country and so it was, although I think the Midlands also fared quite badly.   However, up here, although we were told to expect very high winds and up to two inches of rain - none of it happened.   We had only 10mm of rain and no wind at all.   Today is a lovely, sunny, breezy day - so I must say that we escaped lightly.

An amazing coincidence happened yesterday when a new blogger commented on my post - when I found out that she lived in Wolverhampton, where I used to live, I e mailed her asking where.   After a series of e mails we found out a mutual friend with whom she had lost touch - I was able to put them in touch again.   It is such a small world isn't it?

This sort of thing happens all the time.   Many times on holiday we have chatted to folk and found mutual friends, acquaintances etc.  Once, many years ago now, we were standing on the edge of an iron ore mine on the border between Russia and Norway and we got chatting to a lady standing next to us.   Within a few minutes we found out that her sister lived just down the road from us and we knew her well.   Whoever it was who said that we are all only six people away from knowing (was it the Pope? I have forgotten) was really quite right.   And that is only with the contacts we actually make - think of all the folk that we pass in the street who may have some connection and we never know it.

Towards the end of this week Margaret (Thousand Flower) and her family are coming to call and to stay overnight - now that is a connection one would never expect to make - literally the other side of the world.   Any further round and you would be coming back.  I am so looking forward to it.

15 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

My children laugh at me (in a kind and loving way) for talking with strangers and sharing too many details of my life, but I believe it leads to the sort of blessings you are describing today. I'm so glad you escaped the big storm.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

My children laugh at me (in a kind and loving way) for talking with strangers and sharing too many details of my life, but I believe it leads to the sort of blessings you are describing today. I'm so glad you escaped the big storm.

Heather said...

So glad you weren't affected by the storm - we got off light too.
I remember sitting on a beach once and hearing a familiar voice I turned to see our doctor and his family right behind us.
I hope the weather doesn't make Margaret's trip difficult. Enjoy her visit.

MorningAJ said...

I'm glad you escaped the storm. We didn't do too badly here, though it's still a bit breezy this afternoon. I'm just wondering what I'll see on tonight's news. The south has been badly hit by all accounts.

Edwina said...

It's a small world when you have been in the Forces too, so many people you come across who were posted where you were, know someone you know.. that happened a lot. Very windy here this morning, but not as bad as we were warned it could be. Tucked in this little bit of Norfolk we seem to miss a lot of the really bad stuff, thank heavens. I was dreading waking to the sound of crashing roof tiles, or waving goodbye to plant pots and so on. Still, at least the overnight wind wasn't that bad it put the hedgehog off coming for supper! And by the time it livened up a bit, he was probably sleeping it off. Thanks for visiting my blog as well, I left a reply.

Camille said...

So glad you escaped the big winds.

The man who first came up with the 'six degrees of separation' theory was a Hungarian writer by the name of Karinthy Frigyes. (Say that three times fast)

Have always loved his concept and also delighted when, far from home, we discover someone who is indeed, not so very much a stranger.

Camille said...

So glad you escaped the big winds.

The man who first came up with the 'six degrees of separation' theory was a Hungarian writer by the name of Karinthy Frigyes. (Say that three times fast)

Have always loved his concept and also delighted when, far from home, we discover someone who is indeed, not so very much a stranger.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I'm glad you made it through the storm warnings. It is amazing the number of times that we've sat by someone or chatted and found a connection.

Acornmoon said...

Your banner picture of apples would make the most wonderful jigsaw! We escaped the winds too, hope it continues that way.

Elizabeth said...

Seeing the pictures of the St Jude storm on the BBC brought back memories of Hurricane Sandy.
All rather a shock and very sad.
Re recent co-incidences -when we were in Sidi Ifni in the very south of Morocco we met an English couple from Bury St.Edmunds.
My mother's best friend lived there on Garland St.....so did their daughter.

jill said...

So pleased we have escaped the storms here in the north Pat we are the lucky ones. Have a lovely time with your friends.xx

Hildred said...

When we signed the guest book at the Canadian Embassy in London the signature directly above was that of a fellow College Council member in the Okanagan, - so sorry about that dreadful storm but glad you escaped it Pat. I was in Edmonton this last week-end for my grandson's wedding and saw the first snow of the season, but here in the Similkameen it is still a very mild and beautiful fall.

thelma said...

Hope you are getting better ;) just remembered when we were in Mildenhall Museum the other week, went to sign the guest book, and our names were already there in the last line - Paul and Thelma, coincidental I know, they were a different couple but a bit of time shift.....

A Cuban In London said...

A tree fell down in my school. I came in on Monday to find that the branches had been ripped off the trunk by the wind on Sunday night. Glad you didn't suffer much! :-)

Greetings from London.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your comments.