Friday 25 October 2013

A very wet morning.

This morning was very wet indeed - this was a great shame as it is Friday - Market Day here in our little town.   And our market is a very good one.  I list the stalls I can remember - vacuum cleaner parts, flowers and flowering plants, pets, materials, cards, clothes, hardware, olives, Indian take away foods, garden centre, two wonderful fruit and vegetable stalls, an excellent fish stall selling all kinds of fish and shellfish, sweets and biscuits, CDs and Videos, local home-cured butchery (fantastic dry cure bacon), computer supplies, jewellry, hats, - and I am sure I have missed one or two. Of course, when it is very wet people don't turn out for the market and the traders know this so they don't turn up.   There were only about half a dozen stalls this morning and by half past eleven the sun was shining - too late.

I always meet a group of friends in the coffee bar on a Friday morning at ten o'clock.   We never miss meeting and it is a real
focal point in the week.   Yes, we are back to friends again and how important they are.

I have the most incredible cough left over from a bug I got a fortnight ago.  Every night I get to bed and then cough myself silly (and keep the farmer awake).   Anybody got an ideas on how to shift it?

17 comments:

John Going Gently said...

Get the farmer to rub your chest with Vic

Vic won't mind

Cloudia said...

Honey tea OK lemon. Feel better



Aloha

Bovey Belle said...

I swear by a brandy shandy. I don't like the taste of spirits! but I swear that brandy saved my life when I had very very bad flu one year. It helps me now when I have a chest infection/am coughing, just by relaxing the muscles I think. I hope you are on the mend again soon.

angryparsnip said...

Vicks Vapor Rub on your chest.
It makes a bit of a mess. And of course John comes up with the best comment.

I would love to shop at your Friday Market. Sounds perfect.

Hope your feeling better soon.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Lemon and honey? A good teaspoon of honey and a slice or two of lemon in a cup of hot water. Sip while hot. I begrudge all the energy a cough steals and hope you get rid of yours soon. Your local market sounds wonderful but I'm afraid the weather forecast for the next couple of weeks is not promising.

Rachel Phillips said...

Electric blanket, warm honey and lemon drink, an aspirin, an early night and a separate bedroom.

Twiggy said...

I have a jar of honey next to the bed and have a spoonful for a tickly borough A bit of olbas oil on my pillow or an olbas pastille
Twiggy

Helsie said...

I've been told that coughing a lot at night when you go to bed is caused by cold air hitting the back of your throat as the temperature falls and a heated room would help a lot with this. Don't know if it works as luckily have not had to put it to the test.

Hildred said...

A cough is such a pain at the end of a cold, - honey and lemon are good and the brandy shandy appeals to me over the Buckleys that I would be inclined to suggest.

Such a shame about your Market, - it sounds very enterprising, and your weekly coffee date makes it doubly appealing.

Donna OShaughnessy said...

Sometimes a night cough is due to draining from sinus regions. A few drops of peppermint and/or eucalyptus Essential oil in hot steaming water. Cover your head with a towel (tent like) over the bowl. Inhale for 5-10 minutes. Let those sinuses DRAIN. Then a tablespoon of raw honey. Don't water it down with tea or other liguids. Don't drink anything after the honey. Go to bed.

littlemancat said...

This sounds so silly, but last Winter my husband and I tried it out of desperation - rub Vicks on the bottom of your feet,put on socks, and sleep well. It worked for us.
Like the idea of brandy, though.
Mary

Crafty Green Poet said...

hope your cough gets better soon

I like a good market, we have a farmers market in Edinburgh (which is too meat oriented for my veggie tastes!), but not a general market

Acornmoon said...

maybe antibiotics if all else fails? I like John's idea!

A Heron's View said...

I use this remedy to shift coughs: 1 drop of Thyme Oil stirred into half a cup of Manuka honey and take one teaspoonful twice a day.

A Heron's View said...

I use this remedy to shift coughs: 1 drop of Thyme Oil stirred into half a cup of Manuka honey and take one teaspoonful twice a day.

Linda Metcalf said...

I have the same thing going on right now. I do the Vicks on chest and up my nose and cough drop to get to sleep. Also take a tablespoon of honey straight down before you8 hit the pillow.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet our friends and share things with them. Rub vickis in your chest till it get a little warm.