Wednesday 23 May 2012

A Holy Island.





I suppose islands were really good places for religious communities in the days when there was persecution, as they are much easier to defend. Iona springs immediately to mind.

We were quite eager to go to Lindisfarne - Holy Island - although we have been before, it is quite a magical place with such a history. Before going you have to study the tide tables, as for some part of each day it is possible to get to the island over a causeway. As we live in the same local area we often hear of cars stranded, having left it too late to get off. Then there is a little rescue station - you have to climb up there, abandoning your car, and wait to be rescued by the emergency services. It happens all the time.

There is an excellent museum where the history of the island is told - people have lived there since Viking times and before and until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII it was a place of pilgrimage.

I have just put on three photographs to give you a taste of the place. The castle is on my blog several days ago. The Priory is a ruin but has such an atmosphere. And in the church is this wonderful carving of monks carrying the body of St. Cuthbert.

The third picture is of a lovely old settle in the kitchen of Lindisfarne castle. In the days when these places were cold and draughty, how lovely it would have been to sit by the fire on this.

If you are in the area - do go - but do consult the tide tables first, otherwise you could be cut off there overnight.

It is still hot here and perfect gardening weather, so today has been a day of clearing another area and potting up some plants for the summer. There was a great temptation to go out again after tea but I have to think of aches and pains tomorrow and not get over enthusastic! The farmer swears that his broad beans and peas have grown an inch today - they were looking so desperate for some warm weather.

Several folk in blogland have sent me seeds and I have sown them today - so thanks to Tanya - Lovely Greens - for her kidney bean seeds, now in a pot and also to Gina - BT The Crafty Gardener (who no longer blogs) for her aquilegia. Isn't it exciting waiting to see what comes through. Friends, S and N, gave me a lovely sweet pea last year and I saved the seed. This has also gone in today if you are reading this S and N. If you live in the UK do enjoy this weather while it lasts.

I am going to a Poetry event which is part of our local Swaledale Festival tomorrow with two friends, so shall report on that to give you all a rest from Northumberland.

10 comments:

Jinksy said...

Lucky you, to live near enough to visit such a great place. Thanks for the pictures which give me a long distance taster. ♥

Tom Stephenson said...

I would like to get cut off there, but I don't think they'd have me. Iona have eyes for you...

angryparsnip said...

I have always wanted to visit but never had the chance. Thanks so much for the tour.

cheers. parsnip

Gwil W said...

I think the Holy Island or Lindisfarne monks came from Iona which is another wonderful area - the Hebrides. The monks were originally from Ireland but were chased out of Iona which is in Scotland by the Vikings I seem to recall. St Cuthberts body was carried from place to place to escape detection and secretly buried and dug up and so on and, like all good saints, it never deteriorated.

Heather said...

I would love to see Lindisfarne for myself but am happy to make do with your lovely photos.
I have hardly been outside today it has been so hot, but have had all the doors and windows open to catch the breeze.
Enjoy your gardening. I have to stop before I've overdone things too - it's so annoying.

ArcticFox said...

Last time I was on Lindisfarne I managed to do a circular walk around the whole island.... it was a great way to spend an afternoon and I really enjoyed a pint in the pub at the end of that one!! Great place and I love that coffee shop that has a garden full of sparrows!!

Mac n' Janet said...

LIndisfame has always been on my list of places I'd like to visit, so thanks for the pictures.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you Tom for the rather feeble but nevertheless funny joke! Thanks for the comments too.

Mary said...

I love to visit remote places and Lindisfarne has always been one I've loved to read about. Getting cut off there would be a bit upsetting perhaps - glad you read the tide tables!!!!!

Lovely photos Pat.
Mary

ArtPropelled said...

I would have enjoyed this little visit though I wouldn't like to be caught there overnight. Thanks for sharing Pat.