Tuesday 29 May 2012

A Black Hole?

I wasn't going to put on a post today because I have done so much to-ing and fro-ing. This morning I took Tess to a friend's house (thank you G) while I did my usual supermarket trawl. Then I took Tess to her hairdressers. After lunch I had to go and collect her from the hairdressers and, after a chat with the lady we decided that I needed to see the vet as Tess appeared to have rather sore skin on her feet. So then it was down to the vet's.

It seems that she may have an allergy to grass seeds and pollen. As most of her walks are with the farmer and involve chasing rabbits into the hedge bottom and barking down their holes this is a sorry state of affairs. However, she has had various injections (some of which she did not care for at all) and we have to watch and see if it improves. The vet says that if the skin breaks it will be much more difficult to clear up, so we shall have to bite the bullet I'm afraid. It is sad because I cannot explain to her why she can't go.

Sitting in the hairdressers waiting for Tess I got to musing on a subject which has always interested me, so I thought I would just ask if anyone else out there has the same experience.
There are some possessions in my past life which have just disappeared without trace and I often wonder what happened to them. Does everyone feel like this? Being a woman of course many of these things are cosmetic!

I once had a lovely pin brooch with three small enamel Egyptian stamps on it. The pin itself was gold and I used to wear it to pin a scarf in the days when such things were fashionable. I suddenly thought of it the other day. I have not seen it for many, many years. Did I lose it? Did someone steal it? Did I give it away? Or is it in a black hole somewhere where all such things go - waiting to be claimed?

The same goes for another brooch - a spray of lily of the valley - not precious in terms of the stones, but something I really loved. And then there is a moss green pure wool dress which I adored and which I wore for a few years. I don't recall it being worn out (and I must tell you that I have clothes in my wardrobe which I have had for well over twenty years, and still wear). I don't recall taking it to a charity shop. Is it in that black hole waiting to be reclaimed too?

I could go on, making a list of all the things which have somehow faded out of my life but remain in my memory, but I won't bore you with any more. Is it just me that this happens to, or is everyone the same? I won't even start on the books!

15 comments:

angryparsnip said...

Well sort of yes and no.... In 1993 in the huge wildfire the burned down part of Laguna Beach and surrounding area, my home was destroyed.
For a few years afterwards I would look for an item I knew I had and then it dawned on me is was burned. Even now all these years later I still look for and know I have something somewhere. It all blurs what I have and don't have. I now just assume that it was burned in the fire.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

I must have a black hole too - I have been looking for two cotton nighties that I know should be in the airing cupboard.
There was a much loved book I had kept from childhood and after searching I couldn't find it anywhere but came across the same title on Amazon. I ordered it, and the very day it was delivered I went straight to the bookcase and found the original!

ArcticFox said...

well if you find the carrier bag of socks that match the carrier bag of odd socks I have in my room..... let me know!!

Dominic Rivron said...

If you come across that black hole and my old B40 is in it, please let me know.

Joanne Noragon said...

My house was robbed once, when I was on vacation. We had to account for a lot of things for the police and the insurance, and for a long time after something else came up missing. Then it seemed to be over for years and years, until I looked for the little box in my desk drawer with the Bulova my parents gave me for my 21st birthday. It would have been a lovely gift for my daughter on her 21st birthday. But...someone else has it.

Jenny Woolf said...

I usually find that things I have lost do turn up in a box somewhere ridiculously unexpected. But socks are often a mystery. They can disappear between being put in the laundry basket, and being removed from the laundry basket to go in the machine. My husband thinks there is a parallel universe where all the socks live.

Tom Stephenson said...

If you give me back all my pencils and cigarette lighters, I'll give you back your brooch. Deal?

Cloudia said...

Secret places & disappearing gems: yours is a magical and mysterious life! (yes, where DO they go?!)




Friendly Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral
> < } } (°>

Mo said...

We had a family thing going. Either my mum, my aunt or I would think "I wonder what happened to..." Usually, one of us knew it's whereabouts and that was fine. Mum has gone now and I still search high and low for things I knew 'we' once had and that must still be here somewhere.

MorningAJ said...

There'll be a gold bracelet in it too. And a blue corduroy jacket.

You are not alone!

Marianne said...

gremlins. we all share our lives with them.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Commiserations to Tess!

I wonder about many such things, too, and sometimes imagine sort of Hans Christian Anderson lives for them, like the story of the bottle neck.

Mary said...

Hope Tess makes a fast recovery - it's hard to keep a good dog down!!

I know where MY gold bracelet went - into the pocket of my house painter's helper last Fall, along with the $80 from my purse, but I didn't dare climb down the black hole to find them! I will never use my painter again though because even though I told him, I believe he probably still uses the guy to help out.

Now if I could only find the soft, comfy sage green crop pants to pack in the duffel for Africa next week - did I leave them there last time perhaps????

Time marches on, the black hole must be filled with such interesting stuff!

Hugs - Mary

Rachel Phillips said...

The things will turn up somewhere unexpected, like the back of a drawer under some clothes, orin a drawer in the dresser, or in a jam jar of odds and ends. They are still there somewhere, just taken off and put somewhere and forgotten about.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Well, at least it is a reflief to know that everyone is in the same boat I fear most of these things are gone for ever. As for sock - where do they all go - why do we all end up with a drawer full of odd socks? Thank you for the visit.