Sunday 29 May 2011

Dads

One of the Saturday newspapers - either the Times or the Guardian I think - is running a competition asking readers to write 200 words on their fathers and the best will be published on Father's Day in a fortnight.

It is poignant that this should appear in the paper on the very day when surely one of the best Dads in the world died. Tom Daly, the Olympic diver, has been diving since a very young age and is still only a very young man. Throughout his diving career his father had been by his side, giving him unqualified support, cheering him on, always being there for him. For some time Tom's dad has been suffering from a brain tumour and yesterday that tumour claimed his life.

Over the years he has been such an inspiration and our hearts go our to Tom and to his family. The world really is a poorer place without him.

My dad was pretty influential in my life and it brought up a thought in my mind. I know that memes are out of fashion at the moment, but wouldn't it be lovely if some of us took the opportunity on Sunday June 19th to write a short piece on our fathers - maybe with a photograph. What do you think to the idea? I will remind you again nearer the time.

17 comments:

Heather said...

I think that is a lovely idea Pat -so often Dad's seem to be neglected. I hadn't heard the sad news of Tom Daly's father - poor Tom will find that hard to cope with. I didn't realise what a good father my own was until I was a parent myself. He went about everything very calmly and quietly.

MorningAJ said...

Happily - but some of us writers would like to enter the newspaper contest. Can you remember which paper it is?

steven said...

weaver thanks for offering this opportunity. i'd be happy to share something of my dad. steven

Dave King said...

Excellent idea.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

A good father is a treasure. I write about mine frequently, ever more grateful for his love and influence as the years pass.

Masia Mum said...

My Dad lived with us for 17 years from the day my Mum died [too young]. He was brought up in an orphanage and so loved being a Father and Grandfather and part of a family. I believe he knew how much he was loved and we often talk about him but perhaps I could share some of our memories we you - do send me a reminder.

Von said...

Probably best not for me.He was brought up in an orphange along with 3 of his brothers and became an abusive father.I had a lucky escape not being raised in the family so I never knew him.Good wishes to all the wonderful, loving,caring dads out there.

Hildred said...

A great idea, Pat. My Dad was not spectacular, but he was memorable.

Cloudia said...

Hmmm, perhaps I will.

thanks.




Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


><}}(°>

<°)}}><

Pondside said...

I like the idea - but I'll need a reminder!

angryparsnip said...

A lovely idea but I will not be writing about my father. The less said the better.
What a sad sentence to write.

So happy that so many of your readers have lovely memories.

cheers. parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

It is sad that some people do not have a Dad they wish to remember. I suppose this makes those of us who treasure the memories of our Dads even more grateful. I will post a reminder for those who wish to write a tribute to their Dads on Thursday June 16th.

As to which paper the competition was in - it was either the Guardian or the Times - both have now gone to the recycling - but I daresay their web sites could help.

Thank you for your replies

Reader Wil said...

It's a great idea Pat! My father sailed during the war from the UK to the USA and Australia. He came to Holland after the war in May 1945 and didn't know where his wife and children were. We were still prisoners in a Japanese concentration camp, yet he bought clothes, shoes and books for us and the rest of his family. We saw him not until January 1946.

Reader Wil said...

I have added some extra information to my gate in Cambridge for I noticed that there was something wrong.

Titus said...

Oh Weaver, I noticed a picture of Tom Daly and his father on the news pages, and never read the story. A tragedy for the young man and his family.
Yes, I like the idea of father's day poem.

Gerry Snape said...

Yes...what a hard thing for this young man to cope with in the year leading up to the olympics.
He seemed to be the best of dads and supported Tom in every way needed.I'm thinking of his wife too by the way.

Share my Garden said...

Dear Weaver, a lovely idea, I shall certainly do a post on my Dad for Fathers' Day.